MTN Stick 4.0
Are you in North America? Our new sticks will soon be available from our MTNGear US page that ships direct from our North American based stock.
Revision 4 of our MTNStick includes an array of new features increasing the functionality of the stick.
Unboxing video can be seen HERE
New features include:
- Quick detach picatinny rail mount built into the head. This feature is perfect for using as a shooting stick with your rifle, using with a bino mast for glassing off, using to stabilize your camera in low light conditions to increase exposure time.
- Ability to remove pic and axe to improve transportation and allows additional attachment options.
- Saw blade attachment that allows for easy use of saber saw blades available at your local hardware store.
- Machined foot allowing for snow basket.
If you spend considerable time hiking or hunting in the mountain but not mountaineering you may have come across the dilemma of should I carry an ice axe around the mountains for the few occasions that it may be needed or risk crossing icy snow chutes.
The MTN Stick gives you no reason to not have the protection and benefit of an ice axe on every trip. It can be used as an emergency ice axe, walking stick, to clear a campsite, dig a trench around the tent if its raining or even a hole for taking care of business. All of these uses make it the ultimate MTN tool.
We find one of the key uses of the MTN stick is navigating steep terrain. When the pick is in the ground secured by something like plant roots it can be used to climb past those dodgy spots that would otherwise have few handholds or unstable footing. This is especially useful when carrying a heavy pack.
Product features and what is included in the box:
- The head and ground point is machined from 7075 T6 aluminium. Ground point includes a carbide tip.
- The head includes a quick attach picatinny rail slot with a detent retaining pin.
- Head is now sealed and stops dirt entering the tube and getting into the adjustment joint.
- The pick and axe attachments are laser cut from high quality Scandinavian stainless steel that is approximately twice the strength of regular steel.
- The locking mechanism is hard anodized 6061 Alloy.
- The pole is 100% carbon fibre manufactured in a way the maximises strength and durability.
- Bottom leg is 25mm (1 inch) in diameter
- Custom MTNGear wrist strap.
- Pole saw attachment, saber saw blade and container.
- Snow basket (once snow basket is attached it is very difficult to remove).
What are the sizes you offer?
- Regular version extendable from 56cm to 98cm (22" to 38.5") and only weighing 565grams(1.25lb).
- Long version extendable from 67cm to 118cm (26.5" to 46.5") and weighs 610 grams(1.35lb).
Dimensions and weights are approximate.
What size is best for me?
- If you are 5ft 10inch and under we recommend the regular version.
- Between 5ft 10inch and 6ft it is very much going to be personal preference.
- Over 6ft you would likely prefer the longer as it will be more effective as a walking stick.
These are general recommendations and everyone is different. Other things to consider:
- The steeper and thicker the terrain the more likely you will favor the regular version.
- If you will use the terrain in flatter terrain or have long walks in (e.g. up river valleys) the longer version may be more suitable.
- Shorter is more packable and much more useful and manageable in thick scrub.
- If unsure cut some wood too the two max lengths being approximately 98cm and 118cm. Give these a test and see what feel better. Remember that the best way to hold the MTN stick is on top of the head which makes it feel longer compared to a regular walking stick.