MTN Stick - With Free Leash
Currently out of stock in NZ - We still need to anodize the locking nuts and all the anodizers are closed until 17 January so we expect to have MTNSticks back in stock late Jan 2022.
Are you in North America? You can buy our MTN Sticks from our MTNGear US page that ships direct from our North American based stock.
If you spend considerable time hiking or hunting in the mountain but not mountaineering you may have come across the dilemma of should I carry an ice axe around the mountains for the few occasions that it may be needed or risk crossing icy snow shoots.
The ideal solution is an ice axe walking stick combo. Unfortunately when we tried to buy one for ourselves there was no suitable products on the market. This resulted in us designing and testing our own version over a number of months. There were multiple revisions, all purposely destruction tested to figure out their breaking point and assess what would likely be reasonably required for a mountain exploring.
The MTN Stick gives you no reason to not have the protection and benefit of an ice axe on every trip. It can be used and an emergency ice axe, walking stick, kindling axe, to clear a campsite, dig a trench around the tent if its raining or even a hole for taking care of business. All of these uses make it the ultimate MTN tool.
We find one of the key uses of the MTN stick is navigating steep terrain. When the pick is in the ground secured by something like plant roots it can be used to climb past those dodgy spots that would otherwise have few handholds or unstable footing. This is especially useful when carrying a heavy pack.
What are the sizes you offer?
- Regular version extendable from 64cm to 102cm (25" to 40") and only weighing 580grams(1lb 4oz).
- Long version extendable from 71cm to 118cm (28" to 46") and weighs 620 grams(1lb 6oz).
- Note the lengths do include the 6cm (2.3") long ground spike.
Dimensions and weights are approximate.
What size is best for me?
- If you are 5ft 10inch and under we recommend the regular version.
- Between 5ft 10inch and 6ft it is very much going to be personal preference.
- Over 6ft you would likely prefer the longer as it will be more effective as a walking stick.
These are general recommendations and everyone is different. Other things to consider:
- The steeper and thicker the terrain the more likely you will favor the regular version.
- If you will use the terrain in flatter terrain or have long walks in (e.g. up river valleys) the longer version may be more suitable.
- Shorter is more packable and much more useful and manageable in thick scrub.
- If unsure cut some wood too the two max lengths being approximately 102cm and 118cm. Give these a test and see what feel better. Remember that the best way to hold the MTN stick is on top of the head which makes it feel longer compared to a regular walking stick.
What is the stick made from?
- The head and ground point is made from high quality Scandinavian stainless steel that is approximately twice the strength of regular steel.
- The pole is 100% carbon fibre manufactured in a way the maximises strength and durability.
- The locking mechanism is hard anodized 6061 Alloy.
How does the ground point hold up not being carbide?
We use a high grade stainless steel that is significantly more resistant to wear. You will notice that the point will become rounded and slowly wear but with regular use you will will likely get decades of use before this becomes and issue. We have designed this point to be easily placed on cracks on the surface of rocks etc, enable the stick to support its own weight and stand up when planted in the ground in the widest variety of conditions while still being strong and light weight.
Taking care of your MTN Stick
Do you offer a snow basket?
No currently we do not. These are designed to balance the need of being able to break through snow and ice when needed while still providing some support in soft earth. We tested many different designs and found the approx. 25mm(1inch) base plate balances these needs.